SF6 certification and training
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the legal regulations?
New (EC) 517/2014 F gas regulation
This regulation has been in force since 01st January 2015 and replaces the 842/2006 directive on fluor gas. It is valid for the following fluorinated greenhouse gases:
- Partly fluorinating hydrocarbons (HFKW)
- Perfluorocarbons (FKW)
- Sulphur hexafluoride (SF6)
The aim of this regulation is to reduce or avoid emissions of fluorinated greenhouse gases. In accordance with this regulation only certified personnel is allowed to carry out the SF6 gas handling in the 28 EU member states. This regulation stipulates the required training and certification of personnel as well as reporting obligations.
Certification in accordance with the (EU) 517/2014 F-gas Regulation and (EU) 2015/2066 regulation
Article 10 of the new Regulation (EU) no. 517/2014 refers to existing requirements and states that existing certificates and training attestations issued in accordance with regulation no. 842/2006 shall remain valid, according to the conditions under which they were originally issued. The minimum requirements for the certification of personnel are laid down in regulation (EU) 305/2008.
Personnel carrying out gas handling works (such as filling, measuring and reclaiming of SF6) shall still be certified.
What is the training content?
The participants acquire minimum requirements of knowledge and skills in accordance with appendix 1 of the (EC) 517/2014 and 2015/2066 regulation:
- Basic knowledge of relevant environmental issues (climate change, Kyoto Protocol, global warming potential), the relevant provisions of regulation (EC), No 842/2006 and of the relevant regulations implementing provisions of regulation (EC) No 842/2006
- Physical, chemical and environmental characteristics of SF6
- Use of SF6 in electric power equipment (insulation, arc quenching)
- SF6-quality, according to the relevant industrial standards (1)
- Understanding of the design of electric power equipment
- Checking the SF6-quality
- Recovery of SF6 and SF6-mixtures and purification of SF6
- Storage and transportation of SF6
- Operation of SF6-recovery equipment
- Operation of tight drilling systems for suction lines, if necessary (gas tight drilling systems)
- Reuse of SF6 and different re-use categories
- Working on open SF6-components
- Neutralising SF6 by-products
- Monitoring of SF6 and appropriate data recording obligations under national or Community legislation or international agreements
- Reduction of leakages and density controls
- Basic knowledge of relevant technologies replacing or reducing the use of fluorinated greenhouse gases as well as safe handling
(1) e.g. BIEC 60376 and IEC 60480
Do I receive a confirmation of participation or certificate?
After successful examination you will receive a personal certificate (in accordance with the (EC) 842/2006 regulation on fluorinating gases as well as the (EC) 305/2008) directive). The certificates are issued in German and English language in DIN A4 and in form of a passport card.
When will the training be invoiced?
4 weeks before beginning of the training you will receive the invoice. Our terms of payment for the training are cash in advance. The certificate will only be handed over to the participants after receipt of payment on the second day of the training course at the latest.